Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Halloween Aussie Style




We resurrected Lydia's witch costume from last year (had to take the hem down) and added some face paint. Isaac made a great vampire. Out of the way, Edward, my Isaac is way cuter! Evelyn wore the princess dress I made for a 3 yr. old Lydia (and was livid when I didn't let her put it on first thing in the morning). As for my last minute outfit, I grabbed a plaid shirt out of my closet, a cowgirl hat out of the dress up box, and later found a belt with a hefty buckle in the dress up box as well. They all went so nicely with my Crocs, don't you think? Funny, a cowgirl is a bit novel here. Mums loved it when I passed out candy with a Texas drawl.




Halloween is a little different here in Australia, different being better! For one, it's not a big deal, which is great! Most people don't do Halloween. Our little town, however, is a trick or treat hot spot. Some American friends came to join us and the kids had a great time!




People put up their decorations ON Halloween day and they're down the next day. And you only trick or treat at houses where the front gate is decorated. Clever, I like it. AND I love that the kids are out by 5:30 and everyone goes home by 7. We were home by 6 to eat our "sausage sizzle" with our friends. (a sausage sizzle is a hot dog roast and is the most common casual gathering meal, just throw some "snags" on the barbie).
I think the kids had just as much fun passing out candy as getting it.




In Australia the trick or treaters are a younger crowd; mostly elementary school, a few junior high kids, but none of this herd of obnoxious high schoolers. AND the kids are so polite! All cheerful and happy to tell you what they're dressed up as... yes. (Didn't want to end that sentence with a preposition)
Here are our Jack-o-lanterns! The pumpkins were a bit pricey as they are imported all the way from America, but I really wanted them! "Pumpkins" in Australia are small green things closely resembling acorn squash.




And I had to include this picture of Evelyn. The day after Halloween she adopted our spider decoration after I took it down from the front gate. It was hilarious, she carried it around all day and fed it pretend food and everything. Is she my daughter or what? I'm so proud!





Location:Brisbane

3 Comments:

At 11/03/2012 2:55 PM, Blogger daddy said...

Evelyn the aracnoidianette is so cute. Love Lydia's socks and pumpkins picture. Isaac can out do Eddie Munster for cute. Did you leave your knife in the pmpkin guts this year?? Everyone looks so good. We read about the cowgirl belt but can't see it. Love you all. Opa.

 
At 11/03/2012 4:18 PM, Blogger The Mylers said...

Happy Halloween! Love the pictures...sounds like it was lots of fun!

 
At 11/05/2012 9:14 PM, Blogger Yogurl and Manburger said...

Love the pictures Biz! It's nice to know that you can still get some good American holiday traditions while you are down under. I like the gate decorating and the set time, keeps those hoodlums away. Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home