Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Monday, January 03, 2011

We just got back from our Christmas trip to Mexico City! We were thrilled to bring some grandchildren joy to Mike's parents (that's really why they wanted us to come). In return they took us on some great adventures!
On our first adventure we went to see the migrated monarch butterflies up in the mountains. It was AMAZING!! It was quite a hike, but well worth it. The kids were troopers! Enough to put me to shame. I'm huffing and puffing and Isaac is singing Jingle Bells the whole way up. Lydia was the fastest one of all, dragging Grandpa along. But we all made it.
Here behind us the ground is covered with monarch butterflies!
Just thick with them!!
The trees were thick with them too. I hope you can tell from the picture, these are tall green pine trees, but they are orange from the cover of butterflies! It was breathtaking! Of course the path stopped before those really thick trees so this was the best picture I could get.
Here is Lydia and Grandma being very still so a butterfly will land on them.
On the way back down I found a lethargic one on the path. I picked it up to move it out of the way. I felt like a princess with it there on my finger so I sang to it.
I let Isaac hold it too. Look at that dirty face!
What a great adventure!! Exhausting too!


4 Comments:

At 1/03/2011 4:12 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

That's pretty cool! Glad you had fun in Mexico!

 
At 1/03/2011 5:09 PM, Blogger Opa said...

Hooray, what a great experience for all. Everyone I tell about your butterfly hike wishes they could see it too. Maybe the aerobics instructors have missed out on not utilizing the driving rhythm of Jingle Bells as a motivation song.

 
At 1/03/2011 8:41 PM, Blogger The Mylers said...

COOL!

 
At 1/03/2011 9:40 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Amazing! How cool is that?! Your kids rock. Go them with their crazy hiking selves! Love you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home