Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Baby birds!

We had a nest under our back stairs which was fantastic because we had a great view!  We were ecstatic when we got an egg.  Then every day another was added until there were 4.  I knew robin eggs were blue, but I didn’t realize HOW blue!  
About 2 weeks later we got a baby bird!  And the next day we had two!  Ugly things they are.
We kept waiting for the other 2 eggs to hatch, but they never did.  Here are the birds at 5 and 6 days old.
Look at that face!  
They started looking cute at 9 days.  We loved watching the parents feed them.  We’d sit real still if we saw the parents with worms in their mouths on a nearby fence.   Then the parents (yes, both of them) would fly in and put stuff in the babies’ mouths, but then they’d fly off with a strange white something.  We learned an interesting fact.  It was a packet of baby bird poop, like in a membrane.  Isn’t nature interesting?  That way the nest stays clean.
When they were about 2 weeks old the babies flew the coop.  Mike was pretty sure he saw one on our front porch.  
What a great nature show we got to witness!

A couple more nature pictures.  Lydia went to a friend’s house and got to hold a little goat.  
Flowers from my neighbor’s house.  She went out of town and told me I could cut anything I wanted!  These are so pretty!
And her backyard is everything mine isn’t.  It’s big and full of trees!  I love it!
















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home