Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Last Minute Vacation

Mike had a few days off for Easter break so we took advantage of it and drove an hour north up to Caloundra. We spent Friday at the beach!

It was a nice quiet beach with gorgeous sand and nice little waves at the shore.



Isaac is wearing Lydia's flowery sun shirt. We left his at home and figured our white, white son needed more coverage than Lydia. At least it wasn't pink.



Mike built a great looking sand castle! The kids and I collected pretty rocks and shell fragments to decorate it.



Evelyn loved sitting in the sand and when the waves would come wash over her legs she'd laugh and laugh. What a doll!



And again, Lydia liked going out into the big waves with the adults!


One of my favorite things about the beach was a small section of tide pools! I liked seeing all the chitons and limpets stuck to the rocks. There were also some snails and tiny hermit crabs! Unfortunately, I was the only one who found them fascinating. "Mommy, I wanna go back to the waves!" So we did.

This was awesome! Upon leaving the beach there was a splash fountain where you could rinse off all the sand! Brilliant!






On Saturday we went to the Australia Zoo! Home of the Crocodile Hunter!


I am a HUGE fan of Steve Irwin! It was great to see his legacy.

We saw wombats! They are sooo cute! I just wanted to cuddle it!




They had another kangaroo enclosure for us to meet the kangaroos! These were so soft!


We ran into a keeper walking around with a blue tongued lizard. What a fun job!



We went to the Crocodile Show, which was more than just crocodiles! They showed off a few snakes, brought in some elephants, and presented some beautiful birds (even this huge condor!).


The stands look a little sparse, but everyone sat up higher in the shade. There was tons of seating! Not a bad seat in the place!

Now, like I said I'm a huge fan of Stever Irwin, so when his family showed up to showcase the crocodile, I got a little emotional. Can't take me anywhere! Here's his wife Terri, 13 yr old daughter Bindi, and 8 yr old son Robert.



Terri fed this monster of a croc, Murry. "Look at the size of him!"


Bindi has been training with crocodiles for 3 years and she got to have a go at feeding him, with the help of expert Wes. I'll probably stick this video in a separate post. I'm having some difficulty with the loading...
What an awesome experience! And what a fun vacation!

Location:Australia

1 Comments:

At 4/12/2012 8:06 AM, Blogger Petertammenson said...

I love the idea of science-y Biz loitering at the rocks while the kids are pulling you towards the "real" water - that beach looks gorgeous!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home