Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mike and Elizabeth of the Caribbean: Part 2
We took a break from the beach and spent a day in the city Puerta Plata just outside of Cabarete. We rode the gondola/cable car thing up Mount Isabela. It was cool! I didn't get a good picture of the mountain, but here's us in front of the giant phone booth looking thing that actually tansported us up and down the mountain. On the mountain is a giant Christ statue, similar to the one in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but not as big.
There was also a beautiful garden up on the mountain and we found this giant millipede! While we were there Mike found a new hobby of taking pictures of flowers. They had some beautiful ones there:



Our next stop was the Amber Museum! It was so cool! In fact, they had the piece of amber that was used in the movie Jurassic Parkwith the mosquito inside. Very cool! They also had gorgeous amber jewelry for sale, but as I wasn't feeling like spending $500 or more I passed. But it was neat to see!

We also went to Fort San Felipe that was built in 1540.

It was also used as a prison at one point. Here is Mike trying to escape.

And here's me by a little door. The people must have been much shorter in those days.

We ended our day in Puerta Plata with some shopping. I found a nice necklace and earrings that are reversible green amber and the light blue stone called larimar. The jewelry that is reversible between the two native stones is refered to as "happy hour." Kinda cute. :)

2 Comments:

At 7/11/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Angela Killpack said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!

 
At 7/16/2007 12:31 AM, Blogger Yogurl and Manburger said...

Yikes, that's one short door! I bet it made you feel like a giant, just imagine Patrick and I next to that door.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home