Us Fun Folk

The simple adventures of our highly entertaining little family

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Zoological Fun

We’ve seen some fun critters here in Houston!  We have a great park nearby and it has nutria!  Look at those bright orange teeth!
Alice and I were leaving the grocery store and saw this!!  We stood and watched them for a good long while.  12 ducklings!
I found this on our back patio.  I was so excited because I remember seeing one on our back steps in Georgia when I was 12 and had no idea what it was.  Well, with the modern convenience of the Internet I found out it’s a land planarian.  It’s harmless to people, but eats earthworms. I put it in a jar to show the kids, but it ended up shriveling up and dying.  Earthworms, you’re welcome.

I found a caterpillar!  It was so fun to watch the miracle of metamorphosis!  



If you look closely you can see the wings inside.  It emerged about an hour after this picture.  I like Evelyn’s face.  :)




 We found a tiny mole in our yard.  There was something amiss as he wasn’t burrowing, but scurried around instead.  He was so cute and looked so soft!  His front shovel paws were so cool!  We watched him him for a bit then went inside. We think a cat took care of him.

Lastly, we got to take care of a neighbor’s dog one weekend.  
We took her for a walk and all the kids enjoyed having a turn holding onto the lead.  
Alice trotted along with the dog and how she giggled!  It was adorable.

1 Comments:

At 5/07/2019 11:36 AM, Blogger daddy said...

I remember "hatching" lots of Monarch Butterflys as a boy. Lots of Milkweed plants to find the caterpillars and leaves to feed them in a jar until they began to pupate. Great to check them everyday and watch them until they appeared. Nutrias are tremendously destructive - look at some of the aerial pictures of the lower Mississippi River. Very little fur value. Introduced as captive animals way back in the early 1900's a few hurricanes later they were out of their cages/pens and took over vast areas.
Great picture of the duck and ducklings.
If you had some big rain before you found the mole, he came out on the surface to keep from drowning. Remember we had one in a big tin can that I found in the parking lot of Independence school. I think all of you girls got to see and touch it before I took it back.
Hooray for the joy a little dog can bring to children. Walking the dog on the sidewalk keeps it's nails worn down so you don.t have to clip them. Love daddy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home